EV SSL in the Fortune 500
Find out what percentage of the Fortune 500 is actually using EV certs and if you should be.
July 12, 2021
A colleague recently wandered if there was a source of a lot of EV SSL certificates. I mentioned the Fortune 500 - and said I'd have something in a few minutes.
So, here it is: certificate data for the Fortune 500.
- We visited the official websites of every company in the Fortune 500 using SSL and the company's normal host name
- 3 redirects max - at least one of the sites had a redirect loop, and 3 seems like a reasonable maximum.
Let's see what we found. Raw data and source code links at the end.
How often is SSL available on company homepages? How often is EV SSL used?
139 companies in the Fortune 500 had some form of SSL encryption available on their company's regular website.
37 of those websites identified their companies with an EV certificate.
Which companies in the Fortune 500 use EV SSL certificates?
EV certificates are primary used by finance (Bank Of America, Freddie Mac, State Farm, many others), retail (Macy's, Bed Bath & Beyond), and tech companies (Apple, Microsoft) in the Fortune 500.
Links to all the EV sites are below, as well as their position in the Fortune 500.
- Apple #4
- Bank of America #20
- Freddie Mac #31
- Microsoft #33
- State Farm Insurance Cos. #40
- Aetna Inc. #56
- The Allstate Corporation #91
- TIAA-CREF #94
- Macy's, Inc. #106
- Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company,Inc. #109
- Tech Data Corporation #110
- American Airlines Group Inc. #111
- The Travelers Companies, Inc. #113
- Capital One Financial Corporation #123
- U.S. Bancorp #139
- United Services Automobile Association #140
- The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. #171
- FirstEnergy Corp. #194
- Ameriprise Financial, Inc. #248
- Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. #257
- CDW Corporation #264
- BB&T Corporation #268
- Ally Financial Inc. #272
- Public Service Enterprise Group Incorporated #283
- Genworth Financial, Inc. #290
- SunTrust Banks, Inc. #313
- Fifth Third Bancorp #360
- American Family Ins. Group #372
- Symantec Corporation #377
- Cablevision Systems Corporation #396
- SLM Corporation #416
- The Jones Financial Companies,L.L.L.P. #443
- Regions Financial Corporation #446
- Tractor Supply Company #479
- Alaska Air Group, Inc. #481
- United Stationers Inc. #487
- Airgas, Inc. #497
Raw SSL certificates for the Fortune 500
Here's the full source code to check the certificates of the fortune 50 and measure the results yourself - it only takes a few seconds to run.